Soos Creek right below Raceway

Soos Creek right below Raceway
this creek is threatened by a culvert sending water directly into Soos Creek. The Raceway does not have stormwater drainage ponds

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Notification Distance

I am concerned about the notification distance stated in the meeting notice.  It was 500 feet, if you remember.  See fine print at bottom of 2010-10-13 Meeting Notice    Some people, who actually have a common property line with Pacific Raceways, did not receive notice of the meetings, so it does not appear that the notification distance is measured from the property line.  Emails with King County did not clarify this issue.  Defining a circular area from a location is one common way for planners to describe effected areas.  Just to see what would happen, I created a few maps using google maps.  First, I used google maps to locate the address for:

Pacific Raceways
31001-144th AVE SE
Kent, WA 98042

Then, I used "get directions" to locate 528 feet along the road from the address.  I used 528 feet, because that equals 0.1 mile, which is easier to deal with and it also gives King County an extra 28 feet of notification distance.
See Google Map: 528 feet from Pacific Raceways address

Next, I printed out the map version of this location with google showing the route for 528 feet along 144th AVE SE.  I then used the distance, from A to B, as the radius for a circle that could describe the notification area.
Notification Map: Pacific Raceways street address with a 528 foot radius drawn around it
Satellite Notification Map: Pacific Raceways street address with a 528 foot radius drawn around it

As you can see, the notification distance does not leave Pacific Raceways Property.  King County needs to show on a map, how they define and use their notification distance.  If the distance is, in effect, the radius of a circle, then the only one notified by that particular criteria, has been Pacific Raceways.

2 comments:

  1. Everyone, please attend the meeting at Green River Community College, 6-8 pm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job making this blog, thanks so very much.

    ReplyDelete

(Please read and leave comments)




Letter from C.A.R.E

The hardworking folks at CARE wrote a very good summary of some of the history of the Conditional Use Permit (CUP). In their letter, they detail some of the issues with the CUP and the lack of enforcement of the CUP by King County. Pacific Raceways is asking for a new permit that will give them the ability to operate however they please, with little or no restrictions.
Please Read Letter from CARE